Rule #1: Let your spirit animal choose you
There are many ways to find which spirit animal is linked you. When starting on the path of discovery, it’s important to remember that a spirit animal cannot be chosen. It “chooses” you.
In most cases, spirit animals will be most present when you journey out of your conventional state of mind, such as during meditations, day dreams, night dreams, or other altered states of consciousness.
They can also come to you in their physical form. You will notice them because of an unusual behavior or multiple encounters in a short time span.
Ways to look for your spirit animal
Finding your spirit animal can lead you to try different approaches. Here are some of the most common ways to get started:
- Look in nature and observe around you. Pay attention to animals and their behavior.
- Be attentive when an animal appears in your life in a way that is noticeable, when it has an unusual behavior; it may be a spirit animal trying to grab your attention
- Watch for repetitive encounters with the animal either in its physical or symbolic form (as object or image)
- Read books on animals and reflect on an animal that is standing out
- Meditate either with the general intention of finding a spirit animal or on a specific animal you’ve found ealier
- Be attentive to dreams featuring animals
- Process of journeying (for instance visualization accompanied with sound, shamanic drumming)
How to find your spirit animal through meditation
Meditation provides an effective way to connecting to your spirit animal. We use the term “meditation” is a loose way to designate means of relaxing and using active imagination to visualize and “journey inwardly”. Set your intention for this inner journey to connect with one or several animals.
Using meditation allows you to drop into a different state of mind or altered state where you are more receptive to the energy and intuitive wisdom of the animal spirits.
Finding you spirit animal in dreams
Animals in dreams are common manifestations of unconscious imagery and guidance. If the animal in your dream is a power or spirit animals that has guided you in the past, pay particular attention to the message your dream delivers.
Animals in dreams whether they are spirit animals or not typically represent:
- feelings that have not been fully acknowledged yet by the dreamer
- aspect of the personality or feelings considered as “wild” or hard to control;
- basic instinctual drive or emotions;
- an event or person’s influence in the dreamer’s life
- intuitive guidance using the shape of an animal spirit guide
What to do once you have found your spirit animal
Here are a few things you can do once you think you have found your spirit animal or know what your spirit animal is.
- Learn about your spirit animal as much as you can: Observe it when you see it in physical form, learn about it in books or in other media, feel it, imagine it.
- Quickly list the qualities or attributes of the animal you feel could be your spirit animal. Don’t think about it too much, just respond to these questions as quickly as you can, then ask them again and see if you can find more associations:
- How do the animal traits relate to you?
- How does the animal and what it represents connect to experiences you have or had life?
- If your spirit animal had a voice, what would it say to you right now?
Spirit animal questionnaire
Here are a few possible directions to find your spirit animal and figure out what kind of connection you have with it or what message it’s conveying to you. The following questions are applicable to any animal.
How do you feel about the animal and its presence?
If you met your spirit animal in person, how did you feel then? Go back to the roots of the emotional charge of the moment: Were you scared? Did you feel threatened? Were you happy to see your spirit animal?
Are there connections between your spirit animal and situations or events in your life?
Are there connection between how you feel about your spirit animal and feelings you have in other areas of your life? Observe if new emotions or associations emerge, as they may have been out of your awareness until now.
The spirit animal could represent your feelings, but also a person, an event or a situation from your past or present life.
What qualities do you personally associate with your spirit animal?
Look at the characteristics or traits or imaginary qualities or symbols you typically give to your spirit animal. This is a good starting point for the creating meanings and developing a stronger connection with your animal spirit guide or guides.
How is the animal typically portrayed by society or spiritual traditions?
You can also look at conventional images or general cultural meanings that are typically attributed to your spirit animal. Spirit animals can be imbued by this generic meaning. Include this perspective in the exploration to find your spirit animal or use it to complement your understanding. Spirit animals often offer puns or a play on words to reveal a deeper message. Be sensitive to this type of association when you try to find the meaning of power animal.
By Elena Harris from SpiritAnimal.info